I wanted a full bouquet so I bought several bushels of the tulips. I was lucky to get them on sale so plan ahead and watch the ads to find out when the flowers will go on sale as silks can be pricey.
Since I am NOT a baker and I wanted to make a keepsake, I made my cake a craft project that was not edible. This could be something to keep and cherish forever just like a vampire! :)
The first thing that I did was to use the white spray paint to cover the hat boxes. I used about 2 coats of paint to make a beautiful glossy white finish. While the boxes were drying, I used the silver spray paint to color the letters to spell out "BELLA". I let both dry over night.
Once all letters and boxes were dry I stacked them on top of each other to make sure that the "cake" would look great and like an actual cake. Not just a cake in my mind since I had dreamed up my Bella Cake. I was happy to see that it did look like one.
The "cake" at this point passed my inspection so it went on to the decorating stage.
Next I individually cut strips of the green and yellow satin ribbon to be the perfect length for each tier of the cake. Once all the ribbons had been cut, I individually glued each strip on to the boxes at different intervals to match the pattern and design that was on Bella's cake.
This process took HOURS and HOURS. I did each strip by hand and made sure that it was not only perfectly glued but looked most like the real cake. I had a picture of the cake in front of me as I worked. Once all the strips of ribbon were glued on each tier of the cake I let them dry overnight.
Once the cake tiers were dried, I cut off the excess ribbon from the bottom of each. The next step was to put the "cake" together.
I used tacky glue around the rim of each and stacked them on top of each other. I let them dry over night again to ensure that the cake would stay together.
The final step in making my Bella cake was to attach the "BELLA" letters to the top and the flowers.
Since the red daisies on Bella's cake had brown centers and the ones that I found had yellow I had to paint them. I used a Q-Tip and my brown fabric paint that I bought to dab brown paint over the yellow to make the centers dark. While they were drying I cut the stems from the green and yellow daises.
I looked at the picture of Bella's cake and placed the flowers in the correct place. I then used the hot glue gun to glue the flowers down. Once the red daises had dried I hot glued them down as well.
The finishing touch was to add the letters! :) Using the hot glue gun, I individually glued each letter to the top of the cake. Once the letters were attached the cake was done. :)
I stepped back to look at the finished cake for the first time and I was proud of what I had created. I had never seen a more perfect replica of it. Yes, it was not edible but it was perfect in every way.
This was not only a great replica of Bella's cake but it was a twi-tastic keepsake that could be savored for years and years. Well that's what I think anyways. I will let you be the judge.